Thursday 27 February 2014

Focal Lengths and different viewpoints


5–Focal lengths and different viewpoints
2 or more photographs of a scene/subject taken with different lenses but trying to achieve a similar structure by moving your own position – note the differences.

 ISO 400 70mm f5.6 1/250

This photo has a very different quality to the one below taken with a wider angle.  Here the bench opposite in the background seems related, mirroring but far away and much, much smaller.  It's impossible to get a straight line because the bench is slanted or the ground is slanted - nature.  I converted it to black & white because it suited it I thought.  The bench is very much part of the landscape.  I like how the trees mirror the legs.


ISO 400 24mm f5.6 1/250

I sort of preferred this when I first looked at both images even though it's overexposed in the sky - maybe that's ok (although I understand that printing overexposed photos is a problem).  The bench looks less uniform, less regular, more alive even.  The trees in the back look like they are dancing and there is no second bench mirroring this one here.   The bench feels much more imposing and nearer than the one above.  Maybe it seems to be relating to the viewer here whereas above the bench just is - above the bench does not seem to care whether the viewer sees it or not, it's part of something that will continue with or without the viewer. 

I like both photographs now, although I think I might be beginning to prefer the first one the more I look.  The second one feels more familiar - a bit messy, overexposed but present.  The first one seems somehow tentative, less noisy but perhaps sturdier? 

No comments:

Post a Comment