Monday 24 February 2014

Exercise Focal Lengths


4–Focal lengths for cameras with variable focal lengths
3/10 photographs taken with different focal lengths

Looking through the photos I took for this exercise and the others I uploaded yesterday I have realised that I don't take the time to think, absorb and follow instructions clearly.  Instead I lurch rather frenetically from one place of being to another and hope for the best!  I suspect I've been doing this to a greater or lesser extent my whole life.   And I also suspect that one of the results of signing up for this course will be that it forces me to slow me down.  I really need to take more time - which isn't always easy, especially when feeling panicked and on high alert as one does sometimes when in charge of small children.

Anyway the result is I have four photos here, and I didn't take them at exactly the same position, and I am quite annoyed I didn't have the instructions clearly in my head because I may have got some better photos.  Too much haste!  (I actually drove elsewhere first to do another exercise and then realised when I got there I didn't have my money on me as I'd left my purse at home so couldn't park and stopped here on the way home to do this exercise instead so it wasn't a wasted journey... Really, I need to breath and slow down.)  

I have marked each photo by Position 1 or 2 (P1/P2).  I had moved several yards to the right in Position 2.  I am aware there is some lens distortion that I have struggled to rectify fully which is noticeable in the detailed images.


P1 ISO 200 24mm f8.0 1/125

P2 ISO 400 135mm f8 1/160

P2 ISO 400 300mm f8 1/160   





P1 ISO 400 300mm f8 1/160


I took a photo of this building site in July last year.  Click here  I noticed when looking at that photo today that I would have straightened it and probably processed it a bit differently now.  I titled it Reconstructing London because there is a great deal of reconstruction going on externally and internally in my life.  It's also taken from a position that I have often walked or cycled along especially when I was 'training' (I use that word loosely) for a bikeathon a few years ago.  The photos are taken from the south side of the river where I have always lived whilst in London and facing a place where someone I know is, and perhaps embarking on a massive reconstruction process, although that is not entirely clear. If I was stinking rich I'd love to live in a penthouse with massive windows overlooking the Thames along here - but definitely on the south side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment