Sunday 23 February 2014

Exercise: Fitting the frame to the subject

1 - Fitting the Frame to the Subject

Take 4 photographs of a subject; conventional, placing the subject in context, detailed shot and filling the frame.  

Using the notion from the previous page of the course document that everything we look at is a potential image I used the land line phone in our front room because I was stuck indoors and couldn't go out at the time.  It's not a very good-looking object.  It's pretty dated and is hardly used.  However, it has become a symbolic object in our family that engenders a wide range of emotions from all of us for various reasons.  

I do like that I have used such a basic object - is it a bit utilitarian?

I didn't really succeed in getting the detail shot so had to crop - I must have misread something when I did it (a few weeks ago) so it's not as sharp as it aught to be. I've also tried it in black and white to see if it improves it - not really.

I think it can sometimes take me a while to start concentrating... I wonder if these shots demonstrate that!





conventional f5.6 1/30 iso 200
in context f5.6 1/30 iso 200
fitting the frame f5.6 1/30 iso 200

detail f5.6 1/320 iso 200

detail in black & white as above


No comments:

Post a Comment