Friday 3 October 2014

Reflection

Demonstration of technical and visual skills
I suppose I have shown that I have carried forward some of the elements of design we learned in assignment 2.  Some images show clear lines and shapes, as well as an awareness of framing.  I think I have pushed myself technically but probably fell short in many aspects because perhaps what I was trying to do was rather beyond where I'm at.  I enjoy seeing what can be done and experimenting; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have to say I am not sure if some of these images would work as prints and if I were to print them I might need to re-shoot.

Quality of outcome
Well - this depends a lot I think.  To be honest at the moment I am so unsure of the work, I can't tell you.  A few images may be interesting but I suspect some might just look ridiculous to a few or to many.  I rejected images that would have required too much 'work' in Photoshop such as the backdrop being lit because I was short on space and had to really think about things to overcome those sort of problems .  I felt that it I were going to take so many risks with shutter speed, subject and exposure in some instances then I had to make sure that the images didn't fall short in other areas such as the backdrop being in the shadows properly.  I am not sure what the quality is.  Perhaps it shows promise. Perhaps it just shows a lot of awful rubbish.  As time passes and I think about them there are some images which stand out for me as falling short of what I was aiming for and some which are growing on me.

Demonstration of creativity
I know I cannot be accused of failing to be creative.  I am prepared to try things out and fail and try again to find something interesting.  I think I am creative but perhaps struggling to find a way to express that adequately.  I kept waiting to have a moment where I knew what I was going to do which happened after weeks of thinking with Assignment 2 - but that didn't really happen.  Instead I went round and round in my head, changing my mind, going back to what I'd planned, dropping it again.  I felt compelled to keep photographing these shapes and expressions.  By the end of it if I feel if I never photograph me again it will be too soon.

Context
I have certainly read more this time and have tried to incorporate that into my blog.  The commentary here was so long and rambling that I had to edit it heavily and I think I might have removed everything interesting so that what is left says nothing much.

No comments:

Post a Comment