Monday 27 October 2014

Light Part 4 Exercise 1 Part 2


Take 5 or 6 different photographs  - for each one make five exposures, arranged around what you have measured as the best exposures.

I shot the first image (laid out in the middle of each image here so the sequence of ISO numbers make sense) in AV then switched to manual and changed the ISO to get exposures around the average so that I didn't need to change the aperture or shutter speed.  (I noticed afterwards that using ISO is recommended in a later exercise too).  All images are shot at 50mm with a cropped sensor. 

Image 1 - f5.6 1/125s
600 ISO
500 ISO
400 ISO
320 ISO
250 ISO


This was the very first image I took of this scene which is framed ever so slightly differently than the five above and the one I liked most.  It is taken at 400 ISO so the average and would have been set to AV.


Image 2 - f5.6 1/60s


ISO 1250
ISO 1000

ISO 800
ISO 640

ISO 500
Image 3 - f4 1/125s

ISO 2000
ISO 1600

ISO 1000 (Oops - I seem to have missed ISO 1250 when doing this exercise! So this is darker than it might have been)
ISO 800
ISO 640
Image 4  - f4 1/100s
Shot into the sun so all over exposed.  These didn't really work at all but serve for the purpose of the exercise.  I don't really get the shooting in the sun thing.  I keep trying to get it right as I know people seem to like it and there are images with flare and golden streams all over the Internet but I never like the look of what I get when I try it.  Maybe if I could do it with any success I'd change my mind about it - I do tend to underexpose as a habit and need to constantly be on the look out for that and I really like very light aity images that aren't over exposed.  Perhaps that's what I should aim for in the assignment, or at least part of it.  We'll see.

ISO 200
ISO 250

ISO 320


ISO 400

ISO 500
Image 5 - f2.8 1/320s
Here I like the one with the highest ISO even though I am sure it's quite noisy for those obsessive pixel-peeper types.  I just the like the light and there was very little by the time I got to taking these - I had to stop soon after.  Again the one in the middle was taken on AV and it was that setting I used to work around.  Next time if I use AV I should then use exposure compensation + and - too to find an exposure I am happy with before continuing to bracket.  (I don't think you can set the camera to bracket for two extra exposures on either side, can you, so must do it manually?)  I tend to shoot in manual although have been advised to use AV for family shoots.  I did for two weddings and I think that was the right thing to do but I felt a loss of control.  Perhaps the more I relax in those situations the better I will be at judging whether AV is right or when to go into manual in certain scenarios.  Or maybe I should become more comfortable with AV and exposure compensation by using it more because as I mention I do tend to underexpose.  In fact sometimes I will think I have overexposed as that is what the camera histogram is telling me but then when I get home I find it's fine although high key - wow, I wish I were less all over the place! 

ISO 1600
ISO 1260
ISO 1000
ISO 800
ISO 640

No comments:

Post a Comment