Thursday 9 October 2014

Making my blog private

I'm thinking about making this learning blog private.  Not because I don't want people looking at my work - I have a Flickr account and am always very pleased when lots of people seem to be viewing my page.  Rather, because doing this course in a remote way with relatively little support is incredibly difficult and rather frightening at times.  I want to be able to take risks and experiment, which will invariably mean producing work that fails as well as work that succeeds but that for me is what being here is about.  Doing it in online however feels incredibly unsupported - I wonder if this is inevitable or rather because of the way the course is structured.  If I were at a college in a physical building with a tutor on hand to give feedback, direction and advice regularly in person as well as a group of fellow students to progress with things might not feel so precarious.  Ever since submitting my work on Friday I have felt incredibly exposed and I don't think it's helping me.  I wouldn't want to stop myself from taking risks, pushing the boundaries of where I am and exploring ideas that might fall flat or might do the opposite.  But equally I don't want to leave myself exposed in the way I have felt this last week or so.  The online part of the course is brilliant for me.  There is just no chance that I could do it any other way at this point in my life.  So I am pleased to be living in time when this is possible but the sense of being isolated out here on my own with minimal support is not great.  I suppose the answer would be to get involved with the OCA forum but to be honest it's not that easy to navigate or to get involved in.  There is some idea of a small community on Facebook but it doesn't in any way come close to providing the sense of containment that I would expect to feel from a regular off-line college course.

No comments:

Post a Comment