Monday 13 October 2014

James Elkin's "What Photography Is"

So, after reading about Jame's Elkin's reported dismissal of Flickr as "kitschy" and "tedious" I thought I at least ought to read it myself so downloaded and have read the first few sections (Elkin has structured his book in the same way as Barthes' with short numbered sections, some of which are very short indeed) .  I'm so glad I did download it, and sorry, Susan Sontag, I shall be putting you on hold while I get on with Elkin's book as it is written to fit very neatly, almost with pages from each inter-leaved into each-other, with Barthes' Camera Lucida.  The book is an updated response to Barthes' and within the first chapter he has described the original so accurately that I am compelled to keep going especially having read Camera Lucida over the summer just a few weeks ago. 
"Like it's author, who had lost his mother, Camera Lucida is unstable: on one page it lectures, and then suddenly it becomes a rhapsody or a soliloquy: at one point it is lucid, and then instantly nearly incomprehensible; in another place it is gentle and calm, then almost demented with sadness."  
Ha! -  he could be describing me as well as Camera Lucida: at least I do hope I am at times lucid and gentle.  But more importantly this is for me a wonderful description of the book.
My first impressions are that Elkin's book is extremely well written and with a gentleness that surprised me given that he is accused by Micheal Szpakowski of a "magisterial denunciation delivered in a scornful tone not unlike Humpty Dumpty’s: 'Nothing is more amazing than Flickr for the first half hour, then nothing is more tedious' and '..each group puts its favoured technology to the most kitschy imaginable uses'."2  I've not got to this part yet and look forward to making my own mind up.  I liked Micheal's writing and a review of an art show he posted previously seemed to  me well written with bravery and a refreshing honesty that I enjoyed.  I  also hate elitism of any sort so all in all it will be interesting to read this book which I have found compelling so far.  Now, if only I could find there the kids have put my Kindle so I can stop reading it on my tiny phone.


1. What Photography Is, James Elkin, Kindle Edition Routledge 2011

2. Michael Szpakowski's review

No comments:

Post a Comment