Tuesday 3 June 2014

Real & implied triangles


Produce two sets of triangular compositions in photographs, one using real triangles and the other making implied triangles.

This was the hardest exercise for me - perhaps it is for all novice photographers.  I can see how triangles bring 'order to an image' but I guess that's the difficult professional aspect - making something coherent and giving it definition.  I imagine this will take time and the more I work the more it will become second nature - I hope!

 REAL:
Something that really is triangular:  Ok, this is actually a cone, but what is a cone if not a three dimensional triangle (sure my 10 year old math guys will explain why this isn't the case).  Anyway, the stuffed hares create a triangle with their bodies and the shape is mirrored in the container and in the frames hanging behind it.  I guess a filter might have been good to reduce the reflections but I like the shapes they make and I don't have a filter anyway - another thing to add to the shopping list.  I liked this exhibit - it was very striking. It capture the violence, the way nature balances itself through aggression. f2.8 1/60 ISO 2000



A triangle by perspective converging towards the top of the image: This is not as strong as the triangle in the photo used in an earlier exercise but I had already included it so didn't feel able to use it again, however, I do like this image nevertheless.  The stone at the front converges towards the back as by expected perspective but the triangle is completed by the figure of the Virgin standing on the tomb behind which makes it more complex I think.  I have continued with an earlier theme of death here.  I like the reflections of the tree - the tree of life? -  in the glass at the back of the photo.  On the other side of the photo is a cross symbolic of religion and spirituality.  At the back is the sky and the top of a mountain.  For me this photo is about death but also about life and nature and man's symbols to make sense of it all. f8 1/250 ISO 250 (Added later: Having thought about this - this is more of an implied triangle, I see)



An inverted triangle where the apex is at the bottom of the image: well, this confused me immensely and I thought I might need to simply turn an image upside down! (see examples at the end of the exercise)  However, looking through my images for some sort of clue I was happy to find this one taken whilst in Italy where I took many of the photos at the beginning of this section.  The perspective rules occur as usual here but because the lights are on the ceiling of the tunnel the lines converge at the bottom of the page instead of at the top or in the middle - and I cropped it to make that happen more.  Lights at the end of the tunnel - it's all about death again!  f2.8, 1/100, ISO 800


IMPLIED:
Still life with apex at the top of the photo: I have placed a load of toys all referencing life and evolution on the blue dot in space called Earth.  This poor dolly is ever so ugly but it's been with us since son no.1 was a baby and despite clearing out a lot of toys recently I don't think I could part with her.  There is a cave man or two watching her, some dinosaurs and a few modern cars.  She sits up against a block of bricks with letters on; if she could grow up she would need to learn her letters and they support her here.  There is a patient lying on a bed - life is traumatic and can result in illness, physical, emotional or mental (all physical really).  Behind her there is a type of BBQ -  something where fire is made, controlled and used to cook food - a very human activity.  The ape is sadly so out of focus he's become just a blurry few dots of pink.  I should have placed him elsewhere - somehow he's not even in the triangle. f2.8 1/80 ISO 100 (with Speedlight)


Still life with apex at bottom of image: To be honest, I struggled with this one.  In the end I was playing with double exposures on my newish camera and ended up doing this so I could finish this exercise.  It's difficult to create a triangle that works with the apex at the bottom  - I thought of using Bluetack to try and create something impossible looking.  I guess if you could do that, it might be unsettling - as it would make little sense to the eye.  The letters and building blocks continue the theme of what it is to be human. f2.8 1/125 ISO 3200 (And I see this is a real triangle rather than implied - I should have swapped it with the one I've picked up on above)

Arrange three people in a group:  I was lucky as this one just happened.  I sometimes have to arrange groups to photograph when I do the event photography I occasionally do.  It can be quite tricky as people don't tend to move even when you ask them too - then you want to man handle them, which some don't mind and some really do mind!  But I do aim for triangle shapes.  I like this as it give a very clear idea about each child's stage in development and personality - why on earth is my middle son clinging to his ears, for instance???  The baby must work hard to maintain his balance.  The oldest boy is at the beginning of that awkward  "how do I fit into this body" stage.  Growth - such a fascinating part of life. f5.6 1/22 ISO 160
ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:


Here is the photo I took and then thought about turning upside down to achieve the apex at the bottom but seeing them here together one of top of each other like this I am surprised by how effective this looks - got to get to grips with Photoshop so I can make a photo with both in... Especially,  since I'm thinking about putting two images together for the assignment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment