Monday 23 June 2014

At last beginning to get on with some reading...




I took photos at a wedding for the first time recently.  Perhaps because I've never done it before, perhaps because of my personality, I felt like an intruder and a bit of a peeping Tom.  Not sure this shot will mean much to the family & couple but it said something to me about my own place at the wedding and possibly in the world.

********

I felt it was probably time to write up some reflection a I’ve not been doing so with quite the same frequency as I did to begin with.  As I mentioned in the assignment reflection for Elements of Design, this isn’t because I haven’t been thinking.  In fact, perhaps it’s because I’ve been thinking more, droning on less.

I think what the last few months of work with OCA has done for me is broaden my horizons of what is possible quite considerably – and for that I am very pleased.

I know I need to read more.  Fitting it in is not easy but I’m getting on quite well with (1) the photograph as contemporary art by Charlotte Cotton. There is quite a lot in there that I have come across already which is encouraging although of course much more that I haven’t.  All of it is compelling to a greater or a lesser extent.

I think what I’m most interested in on this course for now is trying to reach something that is less about the commercial side although that is important to me (and something I must continue to learn about; marketing, sales, the actual photography) as I need very much to earn a living in the medium term.  But if I can develop the art side as much as possible for my own satisfaction then that would be great.  But I don’t think that will be easy to do – I find a lot of the stuff I’m looking at quite challenging to be honest although the Intimate Life chapter in the aforementioned book is far more immediate and resonant for me than much of the deadpan style I’d read about earlier. 

Of course, I have no doubt the two, commercial and not so commercial stuff will cross over and may be influenced by one another, and in fact I can see that happening already.   It does feel like I’m on a very interesting path and I’m enjoying it a great deal even though there are times when I feel somewhat panicked and like I might have gone off in the wrong direction.

I'm a bit nervous about the next chapter in TOAP - Colour.  Seems all a bit difficult at first glance due to the theory so will need to think carefully about it as I go through.

For now, I need to get on with writing up two photo books, and reading all the colour information on the OCA site as well as some more of the photograph as a contemporary art.





(1) the photograph as a contemporary art, new edition by Charlotte Cotton, Thames & Hudson 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment