Sunday 9 March 2014

Assignment 1 - Single image with contrast

Growing 100 ISO, 24mm, f2.8, 1/160 - speedlight set to manual 1/4







Since posting this I have added an afterthought here.
I hope this afterthought (and the image it contains) can be considered as the actual final image rather than the one above but if not then at least my learning process is evident.

I am very annoyed with myself.  I have spent the last week really getting to grips with using high apertures when taking photographs of groups.  I tend to use f2.8 for close up portraits and my camera is often left in that setting.  I was originally planning to take a photo of my oldest son in his suit and so had the camera set at f2.8 but should absolutely have changed it to at least f5.6 for this - even if it was just him.  I think the habit of using very low numbers is related to the fact that I am trying to also take photos of families and I know the fashion is for soft out of focus backgrounds.  (Even though I am aware that narrow depth of field isn't all about low apertures it's a trap that I have failed to resist keeping away from) However, having thought so much about it this week I am pleased that I achieved some good photos yesterday using higher values and wish I'd thought more clearly when taking this image.  It's probably important to remember that fashion doesn't necessarily need to be adhered to here and it might have worked very well to have everything pin sharp even in the background.

The other thing that I have got to grips with this week is focal points.  I have become aware that many photographers use the central focal point and then re-compose before pressing the shutter.  I have tended to stop and move my focal points around which is very limiting.  So I am getting used to doing things with the central focal point and recomposing as others do.  I was quite nervous yesterday but it seemed to work pretty well.  I still changed points when doing close up portraits though.

In this photo my middle son is most sharp - which is a mistake, although perhaps an unconscious moment on my part, revealing yet more contrasts.  I have been worrying about him recently although that changed by the end of the week and started worrying about my oldest.

I have chosen this photo for my final image despite it's lack of technical expertise - is that crazy?  I can't re-shoot it  The room is tidy, the moment has passed.  It wasn't quite what I planned but I like all the different contrasts in it.  I am currently reading Manhood by Steve Biddulph and this photo seems to illustrate the transition from sweet adoring open baby to sullen, uncomfortable with his difficult emotions, pre-teen perfectly.  I wanted to take a photo of my oldest son, still very much a child, wearing this suit that he was bought and which he wore for a dressing up day to school.  The mess in the room, common in childhood and an expression of his chaotic way of being contrasts with the somewhat ridiculously expensive suit, more typically seen on an adult and in an office.  Each of their faces reveals a different emotion, attitude and relationship with each-other and the world.  The iPad is so different to the toys that litter the floor - Lego, puzzles, teddies.  Old fashioned toys vs the ultimate modern toy.  I like this photo even though it's technically a mess and one that I would reject if someone was paying me - one of many inevitable losses when shooting wide-open, and without strobes.

Here are some others from the same moment - some of them with much better focus but without the two younger ones.  Both are shot with same values as before.


No comments:

Post a Comment