Friday 13 March 2015

Narrative idea & progress

I think I will continue with my collection of walls which I have been building for a few weeks, or perhaps a couple of months for the narrative project.  This may seem a bit odd because what sort of story can you tell with a collection of wall images?

I am thinking I shall use an old Reader's Digest book that I remember from my childhood, and which thankfully my mother still owns, as a source of information to create a narrative about how to build walls.  I don't suppose I can quote directly from it the whole way through, but I would like to mention it as the source and obviously refer to pages etc for any direct quotes I do use.

I may want to interweave short parables (inspired by Louise Bourgeois' "He disappeared into complete silence") but I am not sure how that would work yet.  I am writing down ideas for these though as they come to me as it may be that I can find a way to do this.  I wonder if having two narratives would work: one with 'how to build walls', then turn the book over and with the same photographs have the other narrative, my parables, going the other way.   I have a while to think about it... it's an idea for now, although of course one that has been done plenty, I'm sure.


As for prisons:  I have had a very nice response from the media department saying that it is something that requires a lot of resource to organise and so would only be considered if the photographer could guarantee a lot of people seeing the work.  So I replied and I said I would get in touch again when I had built up a significant body of work.

I responded to a request to do some voluntary work with a charity so if that comes about then it might be the start of building up that work.  I know I have been taking photographs of people for a while now but I'm not sure I feel ready to take the sort of photographs I'm thinking about, which need to be sensitive, respectful and kind, and peer into something difficult that also feels dangerous.  Maybe I never will be - think that's a pretty hard thing to get right.





No comments:

Post a Comment