Thursday 5 March 2015

A5 ideas

So I have been told under no circumstances by Mind and by Wandsworth Prison - either I am overly ambitious or suffering from allusions of grandeur and need to set my sites a little lower.  I don't even know why I want to enter into these places which I must admit are fairly frightening but I do. So I have emailed people higher up the chain to see if I can get any inkling of possibility there - I am beginning to see though how difficult it is to get projects off the ground especially when wanting to do something a bit tricky.  And am beginning to understand just how much effort goes into these sorts of projects just to get them going in the first place.  Anyway, let's see what comes of my further emails.  Maybe I should just photograph the outside of all the places I have tried to gain access to and not be allowed!

In the meantime I have had other ideas for the final assignment which in any case may be more in keeping with the work I have done so far for this module.  I am interested in recording two things - a) the monotonous, mundane, quotidian details of everyday life and pairing it up with the inner fantasy world that most of us carry around - inspired I guess by Carl Jung's writings on inner fantasy and how integral that is to our lives.   For now I can't work out whether to photograph the fantasy and write the daily mundane details or the other way round, so photograph details through out the day and pair those images with a fantastical story.  I have written two of these sorts of stories already and could either use one of those or write a new one.  This is something I have more control over and can certainly achieve in time for the course whereas the other ideas are more reliant on circumstances outside my control.

I have thought I could aim to record the daily lives of people living and working in my area -but that really is a very long term project as I'd need to get to know quite a lot of people and then get them to allow me to photograph their daily existence.

Anyway, that is where I am at the moment.  Torn between several strands and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment