Thursday 15 January 2015

Hiromi Kakimoto

I came across Hiromi Kakimoto's work on Twitter and thought I'd share it here.  I generally respond to work that is exploring dream like states, things that feel slightly off kilter.  I'm very attracted to work that is exploring states of being or the slightly strange feelings we all have and I think Kakimoto is certainly doing that.
“I am interested in the process of devising a story, first creating a mental image that I can translate into an actual photograph, then using that photo as a source of inspiration for new, related images, and taking new photos. While these images sometimes reflect everyday life, there is a constant undercurrent of the dream world, which reveals images from the unconscious, and of synchronicity, mythology, and the sources of stories.”
Copied from Hiromi Kakimoto's website

An image I really like is The Signs/The Omens ii which can be found in The Time of the Cocoon/and others.  At the time of writing I am not sure this will click though to the actual image or just the set but it is the photograph of a blurry figure standing next to a tiny zebra with something on it's back. It's peculiar and reminds me of dream states from childhood.  The sense I get sort of takes me back to a time in the 70s, when I looked at those weird images though a toy, the ones on round white cards viewed through little red machines and the images were sort of 3d - the sense I use to have when I looked at those was one of another world that was like ours but different and sort of tantalisingly unreachable - perhaps the unconscious world.  

I thought I'd just pop this link up here as I thought these images would be worth referring to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment