Wednesday 26 November 2014

Contrast & shadow fill


11 photographs
Set up a still life
Set up the light to the side of the object, aimed at right angles to the camera's view
Take 1 photograph without a diffuser
Take another with
Move a white card close to the subject -Take another photograph
Cover the card in foil using the shiny side - take another
Now with the opposite side - and another
Compare contrast and make notes

You can also use some black card opposite the light source if you wish to increase the contrast

Please excuse the order of these - Blogger is misbehaving and not allowing me to insert images where I want.  

I have used window light, once without a diffusing material (although it was overcast, sadly so pretty diffused anyway).  I made a fantastic diffuser out of the tracing paper I bought for my not terribly impressive shiny surfaces exercises.  Good to have for future use.  I followed the instructions and also used a proper reflector which gives the least contrast, the best reflector and the opposite side of the reflector for the black material shot.  I appreciate it would be best if these were in order but I have tried three times now.  All shot at 500 ISO f4 1/80 except the first which was at 400 ISO.


Crumpled shiny side
Non shiny side of foil
White card 2
Diffused

Non diffused

White card



Proper reflector
Shiny
Black material






No comments:

Post a Comment