Wednesday 27 August 2014

Colour relationships

3 photographs for the first part and 3-4 for the second part.

Part 1
Produce one photograph for the combination of primary and secondary colours with proportions as close to those listed by German poet, J.W. Von Goethe

Red:Green 1:1
Orange:Blue 1:2
Yellow:Violet

The photos I am using for this first part are not the ones I planned at all.  I took several on the beach and while they are OK apart from the Red/Green one which was a complete flop, I was happier with other photos that I took during the same week.  Although these were not my planned photos I did have colour relationships on the brain much of the time.


Red Green 1:1 - This was taken on my phone and processed using various apps to enhance and bring out the colour, plus blur the background.  Not sure if this is acceptable but it's the best example I've got with these colours and proportions.  I know you can sort of see the seams as the editing I used for blurring is new to me and I've not done it in a very sophisticated way.



Orange Blue 1:2 - I have actually increased the blue here to make the most of it and bring proportions in line with the list using Lightroom but feel that would be OK since filters or Lightroom are reccommended at the beginning of the Colour section.  The first time I processed this image was rather more green to be honest.  I didn't take it with the blue-orange relationship in mind but saw it when I loaded the images onto my computer and felt it was a strong image that showed the relationship well.


f1.8 ISO 100 1/160sec 50mm


Yellow Violet 1:3 - This tent is so strange.  One minute it looks blue then it looks purple.  In the bright sunlight it looked purple but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, there is some yellow in the back ground and I have made the whole image have a violet hue to try and convince myself that the tent is not at all blue in the slightest.  How tricky colour can be!

f1.4 ISO 100 1/8000sec 50m

Part 2
Produce 3 or 4 images which feature colour combinations that appeal to you.  Make note of any colour imbalance.  I have found Colour extremely difficult to get my head round.  I can't get into my head what is complimentary and what isn't.  I mean I can read in a book that colours opposite each-other on the colour wheel are complimentary but it makes no sense to me - are they, I think to myself?  So does that mean that this photo where blue and green are together are not harmonious?  Isn't there a silly saying red & green should never be seen?  Or perhaps it's blue and green?  I must say I would like to be able to put lovely colours together and create a harmonious colour palette but it's going to take a lot of getting my head round it. The storm clouds below seem very dramatic - but is that merely the colour clash - bright green and deep purple/grey or is because you can see they are storm clouds which contrast very aggressively with the sunlight buildings?  The colours in the final photograph aren't really colours at all apart from the red - what do black and white come under?  Yet those colours work well together and always have done...I think!  I don't think I've been terribly erudite in this exercise but colour to me seems incredibly tricky.

Green & Blue

Orange & Blue

Green & Purple/Grey

Red & Cream & Black



No comments:

Post a Comment